Walter and Gladys Hill Elementary School
PEAK Cricket Grades 4-6
If your child wishes to challenge themselves physically, mentally, and intellectually, then Cricket is the sport for them! Although Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world, little is still known about it in North America. Luckily, all of that has been changing in Fort McMurray over the past 5 years! PEAK Cricket is offered at Walter & Gladys Hill every Day 2 & 5 of the schools rotating schedule from 8:10-9:10 a.m.
- Increased Stamina and Endurance: The constant running across the field while fielding helps increase a player's stamina.
- Flexibility: Learning how to bowl and field correctly requires a lot of practice and increased flexibility.
- Coordination: Whether it's catching or throwing the ball, a cricket player will develop great hand eye coordination.
- Speed: Cricket has many short bursts of throwing and sprinting (especially while batting), which forces a player to improve their cardiovascular levels.
- Improved Motor Skills: Bowling, batting, and catching the ball require gross motor skills. These are such activities that make the large muscles groups work and function as one.
- Social Skills: It’s a great way to interact with new and old friends, but it's also a great way to learn how to cope with winning and losing.
- Team Building: Cricket is a team sport where players must work together for several hours on the field, utilizing strategies to defeat the other team. Students playing Cricket must work with the team in a cooperative manner to develop and initiate game strategies to win the match.
- Learning Something NEW!: Don't be intimidated by learning a new sport! Cricket is fun, easy to learn (but hard to master), and exciting. Come see why Cricket IS the world's most second popular sport!